torsdag 27 februari 2014

My first font!

Hello readers, today I will talk about fonts and one I created. This is the first font I've ever done and I will walk you through my process. I started with researching about fonts and how make them. I started out in photoshop, created a grid and started drawing at low resolution. The reason I chose low resolution is because of the game's art style. The game is supposed to be very pixelated and low resolution so this font was made that way. About halfway through in photoshop I realized that making a font in photoshop is a pain in the ass.

The reason of this is because it's a very complicated process and photoshop isn't the right program for it. I didn't want to put additional workload on the coders so I wanted to make it a .TTF file. If it's a .TTF file it's very easy for the coders to use it. I had trouble converting my already half made font sprite into a .TTF so I started a new on a website called fontstruct. I used this program to make the entire font. It was very easy and quick, atleast to make less complicated fonts like the one I was aiming for.

I'm pretty satisfied with the results, it's not perfect but then again nothing is. If I find the need to change it I will. I achieved that pixel look and it was a good experience. You never know when this knowledge might come in handy. Thanks for reading, picture below!

1 kommentar:

  1. Hello to you too! I myself have never made a font and have never really looked into how to make one neither so that website you mentioned was very interesting. It really simplified the making of a font to the extreme so that is very nice.

    Regarding your comment about it being a pain in the ass to make a font I Photoshop, I can definitely see that being the case. I don’t really think that is a platform able to make fonts since there is no converter from PS to .TTF files that I’ve found. Just for future use, FontLab is apparently a good software to use, or at least so I’ve heard.

    Your font is indeed true to its pixel nature and would fit right in with the small pixel pals so that is nice. I don’t really know what else to say. Maybe it would be nice to have lower case letters as well, but I guess it all depends on how big it will be on screen, maybe that would look too clustered, or maybe it would just be a waste of work hours for something so menial. Maybe I just think it’s always nice to have the option. But as you said, it’s easy to go in and change things like that.

    Cheers!

    SvaraRadera